Voice and Tone
The Corporate Voice
Our corporate voice is the tone in which we talk to our audience and to our stakeholders. More than just the words and phrases we use, our voice is how we “speak” to our customers, consumers, employees, prospective employees, and shareholders.
Corporate personality traits:
- Casual and uses everyday language, not jargon
- Professional but not stiff
- Diverse and inclusive
- Authentic and genuine
- Shows modern manufacturing as a great career choice and Whirlpool Corp. as a great place to work
- Portrays our products, people and processes as being innovative
- Reflects our true desire to improve life at home for people and for our planet, incorporating messaging related to corporate social responsibility and sustainability when appropriate
Further Guidance on Tone and Style
When we write external articles, we follow AP Style and speak in third person. For internal messaging or blogs, it’s okay to use first person and speak more casually and use “weekend” language. For either type of communication, the voice will remain the same. Messaging incorporated into communications should reference the themes set forth in the Corporate Narrative.